12/03/2005

Cinderella Man

If you have not yet seen the film, there may be some spoilers in here for you!  
If need be, I will gladly scratch your eyes for you! (doesn’t that just sound more violent that gouge)

Ron Howard. Wow, when was the last time I watched a movie released by him!!
Yeah um, it was out of Green Street, The Man and The Longest Yard, so I gladly chose the movie that wouldn’t hopefully suck; Cinderella Man.

I’m not personally a boxing fan, I mean I watch Rocky sometimes when it’s on. But I’m not a die-hard fan, but it turned out not too centred on the boxing.. so if you’re not a boxing fan, then you can watch away.

Directed by Ron Howard, of Splash, Willow and many other great 80s films, and starring Russell Crowe (Jim Braddock), Renee Zellweger (Mae Braddock), Paul Giamtti (Joe Gould) and Craig Bierko (Max Baer).

The film was nice, telling the story of boxer Jim Braddock; his fall from greatness during the depression, and his magical revival. It’s one of those films that are really made for the Oscars to suck up on, nothing too brilliant, but the stuff that they want to be shown giving Oscars to. We see James J. Braddock (Cinderella Man) fighting to keep his family survive. With old injuries kicking up, he is rendered unable to work, and after much discretion he returns to the ring; full of hope and spirit to keep his family living through the cold winter. After rocketing through the ranks he chooses to take on the heavyweight champion (Max Baer); renowned for killing two men in the ring.

In comment to the actors, Russell Crowe played the guy that’s been done tons of times before him, the big brute with a heart, his performance was heartfelt, but not as fantastic as performances I have seen in the past. As for Renee Zellweger, I cannot stand her; she was the usual doting wife, scared for her family and for her husband. I am unable to comment to well, because she’s too annoying… Craig Bierko was the usual dramatic bad guy, rich powerful and mean, what more can I say…
Paul Giamatti was the guy going for an Oscar, and I would be surprised if he doesn’t at least get nominated.

The screenplay was to be expected from such a dramatic film, some laughs, some sad moments… nothing awe inspiring.. but some good entertainment nonetheless. The characters written were a little standard, would have expected more from the film, at least the actors saved it.

I don’t really have much to say about the film. It was better than I thought it would be…  I suppose when you go to see a dramatic boxing film, you should at least expect to be entertained, and that I indeed was. I must say it was entertaining to see a grown man eat like a dog out of a bowl, and it was nice to see a film about a family, actually showing that the parents loved their children, most of the time it isn’t as obvious as it should be.

Thinking back to watching the film a good month ago, good points keep popping into my head, I can never remember the bad unless its awful. So I’ll have to say the film is near flawless, except for Renee Zellwegger, so I give you a seven.

Overall it was a family film, the kinda thing that they’d show at Christmas on a chilly night. It was a lot more profound that Red Eye in the awe inspiring sense. But then they make these sort of films to make people believe that they can do something meaningful with their lives. A nice drama, containing all the usual elements, accompanied by some nice performances by some of the cast.

Cptalbertwesker Rating - 7/10
Shown on one of the biggest cinema screens that I have ever seen, with only about five or six people watching it, how ironic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home