1/01/2006

2005 Review

2005 Review

With a new year coming into play I feel it required that with all the reviews I have written, I should make some form of a review; recalling some of the high, and low points of the year in my own opinion, in regards to the film scene.
This year has been a particularly striving month for me, partaking in the cinema almost every week, up until a month ago.

High points of the year

I used to frequent the cinema about once every couple of months, if there was anything showing. But after this years experience, I can only hope that 2006 will prove just as fruitful of some great ‘different’ movies.
This year we had some “BIG” titles released, with the finale of the Star Wars saga, we all hoped for the best, and other than some nostalgic feelings, I got exactly what I should have expected. Other big name titles such as Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, a great new addition to the Batman series and a new Dead film, the year proved successful for big box office movies.
But it also shone for some less mainstream flicks, the likes of Downfall, Broken Flowers and Crash, lovingly fulfilled my need for material not created for ‘everyone’ and I must say I was pleasantly satisfied, and I do not believe I can say there are many films I am hoping for out of the New Year.
Until I hear what is coming that is… I wish to see Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, and if I set my mind to it, the list would probably be quite long.

So oh excellent Wesker, what do you rate as the best films of the year, we all so wish to hear. Well then here you are.
Please, if you feel comments should be made, I will gladly listen and contemplate, though I will probably not change my top ten.

  1. Serenity

  2. Sin City

  3. Batman Begins

  4. Downfall

  5. Crash

  6. War of the Worlds

  7. The Island

  8. Broken Flowers

  9. Cinderella Man

  10. Star Wars Episode III Return of the Sith

This is based on films that I have watched at the cinema. There were a host of other films that were released this year, which I sadly could not see, and was disappointed due to this. Else wise I would have gladly watched the likes of The Avaitor, Closer, A Very Long Engagement, Hotel Rwanda, The Jacket, Howl’s Moving Castle, Oliver Twist, The Constant Gardener and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. So sorry if you liked these films, and please do recommend me any others you thought were exceptionally good.

Low points of the year

Alongside the good, there’s always gotta be the bad, and in cinema, nothing is any different. With the films released that I enjoyed there was always the ones I would never touch, Son of the Mask, Herbie: Fully Loaded, Be Cool, Are we there yet? Four Brothers, Goal!, Madagascar. Now do not get me wrong, I have never seen these films, nor do I wish to. I am basing it solely on how they look. Usually when I see a film I already know that there’s a chance that I should like it. I do not like to waste my money, seeing something I will not enjoy, and I definitely do not believe in leaving the cinema while a film is showing.
So here it is, for you to bicker and moan at me, my top ten… did not wanna see them, in my opinion they look like they may suck, of 2005.

  1. Doom

  2. Goal!

  3. Four Brothers

  4. The Man

  5. Be Cool

  6. XXX2 State of Union

  7. The pacifier

  8. Herbie: Fully Loaded

  9. The Dukes of Hazzard

  10. Madagascar

I couldn’t really care less of the films I put in this list, and in fact I had to choose out of about 20 or 30 films. So moan and pout all you want, I ain’t gonna be touching these films unless I’m strapped to a chair forced to watch.

“Is that all for the year?” I hear you say… why no not at all. Besides watching films I do many other things, like playing video games and watching some television (oh the life I lead!) and I feel I must mention a few of the discoveries I have made this year, on great pieces of media.

I have been watching quite a lot of television series, with many getting me hooked.
So for all of those interested I recommend you;

Lost
Deadwood
Carnivale
Firefly
Tru Calling

I thought that they were all rather good. Also if any one has any recommendations, I am hoping to watch Prison Break, and was wanting to get ahold of some episode of Jeremiah. So if you know anything on around about this level, please tell me.

Video games!! This year has been busy four new consoles out! Those being the Xbox 360, Gameboy Micro (If it counts) the Nintendo DS, and Sony’s PSP. It has also been rather good in terms of some very intriguing games, namely the most excellent PSYCHONAUTS!!!! As well as some solid titles like Condemned, Call of Cthulhu, The Movies, Fahrenheit and some other jems.

The year, much like many has also said goodbye to many great people. So let me just say, may you all rest in peace.

Will Eisner                     (1917-2005)
Hunter S Thompson               (1937-2005)
Anne Bancroft                (1931-2005)
Richard Whiteley                (1943-2005)
Ronnie Barker                (1929-2005)
Eddie Guerrero                (1967-2005)
Richard Pryor                (1940-2005)
John Spencer                (1946-2005)
Vincent Schiavelli                (1948-2005)

One last note that I feel that I just have to mention. Not usually do I get to discuss films with people outside myself, or maybe Catherine, (Not including the excellent university interview I had) but while overhearing a conversation. A fellow sixth former, went and asked…
“Whose Robert De Niro…” I was speechless, anyway. I thought it was funny and had to be mentioned, apparently she didn’t realise who Brad Pitt was either.

So there you have it. My review of the year is done and dusted; I wish you all a happy new year, and many great ones to come.

3 Comments:

At 10:46 am, Blogger Cptalbertwesker said...

Yeah, that was Kirsty :P

 
At 1:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice yearly review miss I love serenity :P

 
At 8:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot James Doohan 1920-2005

But in all great year end review.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home